• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

How did you hear about medical coding?

Alicia Scott

Moderator, CCO Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
I would love to hear how you first heard about medical coding and what were your thoughts at the time. Now days there is a lot of talk and advertisement with information that could be misleading. Maybe you heard, "Work in the exciting field of health care with doctors and nurses, earning $40,000.00 a year while staying at home!"

That is a true statement but the thing is it doesn't happen as soon as you take a course. Hard work is involved and experience is needed to reach that point.

I first heard about medical coding from an ad on television about twenty years ago. I sent off for a correspondence course that was over priced and had information I already knew. It sounded like something I wanted to do but at that time in my life I wasn't able to go to a physical school. Instead I waited and when the opportunity came along to work in medical records at the hospital I jumped at the chance. The department had three divisions, records, coding and transcription. It was one of my favorite jobs and I learned quite a bit. That was my real introduction to coding. My dream was to work full time in medical coding and that is what I a doing now. Just not exactly how I thought I would back then but even better! ;)

Share with us your experience.

Sylvia Ann Wiegand

Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
I am with you on the lot of talk and advertisement.

I had worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield, so I knew I wanted to do something medical, medical paperwork. Then, I didn't realize the term I was looking for is Medical Records. I wanted to go back to work by the time my last child started school. I had taken many career tests, you know the free ones out there. The top 3 usually came up were Sales, IT stuffs, and Medical Records. I had seen those advertisements, so I did a little research. Sure, I could have gone back to school online, but, not what I wanted. I needed the classroom environment. I had attended ACC before, so I knew it was something I could look into. I think that one day I finally saw a commercial and they offered Medical Coding. The rest is history!!

Hehe :D

Carmen

Carmen Butler, CPC
My first job in the USA was with BCBS of ILL. I started in the mailroom.....My supervisor had so much faith in my potential that she promoted me to be a claims examiner with the company. That was the first time I was introduced to medical coding.
BC provided an 80 hour company coding program that included medical terminology, anatomy, CPT and ICD-9. The coding was done the old fashion way...with the books...no computers. I was fascinated and attracted by the idea of learning and doing something as valuable and important as coding. Twenty years later, I still love this field.

Alicia Scott

Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
And so glad you decided to go back to college Sylvia. Not that I am biased or anything :oops:

Alicia Scott

Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Carmen you are great at it as well. It makes a difference when you get to do what you enjoy doesn't it? I have worked with nurses who hated coding. Mostly because they were thrown in and asked to code with no training. They couldn't understand why I enjoyed it so much. Some say that you like it or you don't. I am glad I am in the like lot. ;)

Carmen

Carmen Butler, CPC
Thank you Alicia,
You are correct; either you love it or not.....
Let's celebrate the fact that we both love this career.
I hope to be as good as you are one day.

Thanks

Carmen

Alicia Scott

Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Thank you for the kind word Carmen. Don't put me on a pedestal. I surround myself with experienced coders and am willing to learn from them. It seems like I learn every day something new about coding. If not from them then from one of my students. Just the other night on the webinar Laureen was showing how to do burn coding and gave an example of how to determine a percentage I think. I had not seen it done that way. Just another learning experience. LOVE IT! ;)

Sylvia Ann Wiegand

Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
I liked that example of the burn code too, I marked up my book, hehe.

Luna

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
I worked in manufacturing for years. Specifically, I was in the upholstery department of a luxury motor coach manufacturing company. The economy continued to go bad for that sector and eventually the company shut down. In an effort to get job placement/training I had to complete some career testing and came out pretty strong in data analysis and record keeping. So they suggested a few things, medical transcription and medical records being among them. I began researching different aspects involving medical records. Coding greatly appealed to me. Years back in HS I was excellent in medical terminology and anatomy. I dreamed about working in medical field but at same time never thought I could. Because I am also strong in creativity I became content with upholstery. Health issues along with the economy have forced me to look again at my other strengths and now I am very excited to begin my dream of working in medical field as a coder.

I was in college in Secretarial Sciences. The school had an open house in Allied Health so I went and asked questions and looked over the material. I knew I did not want to be a nurse or be involved in direct patient care but Medical Records Technology looked interesting. So I signed up, took the placement tests and was accepted into the program. The program taught all facets of medical records at the time (1980's) including coding. My adviser felt that I would excel in a coding career; however, at that time, there were not many jobs available for coders. So I went with my second skill - transcription, which I have been doing ever since. I attempted to return to school in the 1990's to get a Bachelor's Degree in Health Records Administration but had to quit become my mother became very ill and needed full time care. Shortly before she passed away in 2006, she made me promise that I complete my training. So, I am following my own dream, as I always loved coding and fulfilling a promise to my mom.

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
I was studying to be a medical administrative assistant to work at the front desk, but I had a medical coding class which was mandatory. I was hooked and knew that was what I wanted to do and took another class which was advanced medical coding. I later took a medical coding class which focuses on the CPC exam. I took the CPC exam, passed it earning the CPC-A credential, and am now looking for a medical coding position.

Luna

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
I was studying to be a medical administrative assistant to work at the front desk, but I had a medical coding class which was mandatory. I was hooked and knew that was what I wanted to do and took another class which was advanced medical coding. I later took a medical coding class which focuses on the CPC exam. I took the CPC exam, passed it earning the CPC-A credential, and am now looking for a medical coding position.
Wonderful you passed the exam! It sounds like coding is you niche. Looking forward to seeing where you go from here. Little by little I keep picking up on some good tips here about finding positions. I'm certain it's going to happen for you.

jencmason

I heard about CodingCertification.org from my instructor Shirley Fickett. I am so glad I found CCO. There is so much information on here and I am sure there will be so much more down the road for all of us.

I worked in a few health insurance companies prior to my current job, and held management positions. I worked in a claims and provider department supervising associates, as well as program benefits on claims systems.

I currently work at a big health insurance company called Wellpoint. Wellpoint owns Unicare State Indemnity Plan. I handle the DRG Validation (title: Sr. Clinical Quality Auditor). I have been here for 8 years and love the place. I work from home part time. And I have 2 children. So during the time I started working at Wellpoint my son was only 3 months old. He is now 7 yrs old and I am ready for the next phase of my career. One of the things I was required to accomplish (per my annual reviews) is to become coder certified. The company will only pay for me to be certified through an accredited college as well as becoming an AHIMA certification.

I am currently enrolled at a local community college, Northern Essex Community College in Lawrence, MA. It is through the iHealth program there. I've been pursuing it for 4 years and will be done late January 2013. The college just made this program a 1 year program so I am lucky to be finally finishing up. It is stressful too because we have 2 classes that last 8 weeks long. Each class during this time is almost 2 hours once a week..so I go 4 hrs a week to school and the remainder of the work is done at home (approx 10 hrs a week).

I have been juggling work, school and my own life for several years now. Looking forward to being done and getting the CCA-A certification. Once I am done with that, I plan on seeking out somewhere I can code, so in 1 year I can go for the CCS w/AHIMA, and sit for that exam then. I might consider taking the CPC-A, but want to see how I do on the CCA-A first.

Look forward to more discussions!
Jen

jencmason

This is from my prior post..thought AHIMA required an A after CCA when first being certified. I could not find it, but thought I read it somewhere, maybe getting the CPC one confused with CCA. So please disregard my CCA-A. Should be CCA...or I might consider taking the CCS now. Back to more research! ;)

Karen Fan

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
Started working in lab registration, of which coding the lab requisitions was part of the job 20 years ago. Stayed in the billing department, and have been involved in diagnosis coding everyday. Alicia I understand what you mean about nurses and other people being thrown into coding and not really understanding what they are doing. These schools that promise great results to people who do not really understand what it is about is very appalling to me. BTW took the CPC today, had to guess on about 25 questions...ran out of time:eek:. Soon to be Karen CPC I hope.

Alicia Scott

Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Keep us informed Karen :D

Alicia Scott

Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Jen you are taking a path that so many others have done. I remember being in school and working at the same time also. Amazing how we do it. :confused:

Alicia Scott

Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
I was in college in Secretarial Sciences. The school had an open house in Allied Health so I went and asked questions and looked over the material. I knew I did not want to be a nurse or be involved in direct patient care but Medical Records Technology looked interesting. So I signed up, took the placement tests and was accepted into the program. The program taught all facets of medical records at the time (1980's) including coding. My adviser felt that I would excel in a coding career; however, at that time, there were not many jobs available for coders. So I went with my second skill - transcription, which I have been doing ever since. I attempted to return to school in the 1990's to get a Bachelor's Degree in Health Records Administration but had to quit become my mother became very ill and needed full time care. Shortly before she passed away in 2006, she made me promise that I complete my training. So, I am following my own dream, as I always loved coding and fulfilling a promise to my mom.
Another Coding lover! It was my dream as well.